5 Ways to Break Free from Negative Patterns
As humans, we form habits. In the process of developing our habits, we also create patterns. They are habits that we do continuously. Sometimes it's good to have a habit because it helps us remember things or makes life easier. So a habit can be both helpful or unhelpful. In this article we're going to look at less than positive habits and how to break free from them.
Some actions do more harm than good. It's time to work to break free from these negative patterns now. Why? These patterns can lead you down a destructive path and make life worse for yourself and your loved ones.
So how do you break free from negative patterns?
These tips can help:
Recognize your bad habits. The first step to take is to identify your negative patterns. Take a look at your life and ask yourself: Do I like everything about my life? What don't I like about myself?
● Perhaps you've taken some action and regretted it afterward. Or you don't like how your body looks in the mirror. Maybe you don't like what others think of you. Try to find out the reason behind this feeling.
● Make a list of all these things, one by one, and then make a list of the good things about your life.
● The goal here is to find out what you don't like and admit it to yourself, as well as what you do like.
2. Take responsibility. After identifying your bad habits, the next thing is to stop blaming others for them. Many people find it easier to blame someone else for their problems. But what does that get you? Nothing!
● You can't change anything if you keep blaming someone else. The best way to solve any kind of challenge is by taking responsibility for your actions or non-actions and making a plan of action that you can follow through.
● Becoming accountable for your actions gives you the power to change your destiny. Don't settle for mediocrity!
3. Manage your emotions. Emotions are the driving force behind any action. They can either be for you or against you. Choose the ones that give you success in your life.
● Begin to keep a diary of how you feel from day to day and why. Then ask yourself, "How can I improve my life?" If your emotions are not favorable, then do something about it--anything! Take a walk, watch a movie with a happy ending, or call someone you love, play with your pets.
4. Dig for the lessons in any situation. After you've identified an issue, ask yourself what you did wrong. Be really honest with yourself, this type of work is moving you past the victim scenario! Maybe you acted hastily to take advantage of the moment or took a shortcut that caused more harm than good.
● Perhaps you failed to think things through and ended up looking like a fool in the end. The point is that we learn from our own mistakes and do better in the future.
● As humans, we usually advance when we understand our negative patterns. And once we have taken the first step to identify our bad habits, it's easier to find the hidden lessons.
5. Take a different path. When you feel the urge to do something, ask yourself if it's for the best or worst. You don't need to do everything that comes along in order to be happy.
● Attend as many things as you like but know that there are also other things you can do and enjoy too. Try new things. But also recognize what is essential in your life and act accordingly.
Making a change is not an easy process--you will have to start with yourself. But once you do, you will be surprised at your ability to make positive changes in your life, including how you feel and how others perceive you.
Don't be afraid to take a break from your negative patterns. You’ll be glad you did!