Life and Happiness Hack: How to Stop Living With Regrets and Embrace the Present
There's almost no human alive who doesn't regret some of the things they've done, and that's simply a fact of life. Even when the source of regret happened years ago, we hold onto those feelings, wishing that we could change the past.
And while we can't travel back in time to change our mistakes, we can learn from our mistakes and move forward.
One of the best ways to let go of the past is to live in the present. By focusing on today, you'll be able to release your need for perfection and make peace with your past.
Focusing on today is the only way to free yourself from holding grudges toward people or situations from the past. By living in the moment and not worrying about the past or the future, you'll be able to live your best life. But that's easier said than done.
What can you do to stop living in regret and embrace the present? Try these:
Decide what you want. One of the biggest reasons for living in regret is not knowing what we desire. And while it's easy to put off deciding what we want for fear of commitment, without knowing what we want, we can't start the process of living in the present.
● So, make a list of goals you want to achieve, and then commit to following through. Thinking about what you want -- instead of what you regret in the past -- will help you be more focused on the present.
Discover your underlying fears. When you make decisions from a place of fear, it's easy to get stuck in regret. There are many ways to express fear, but what is common to all is that we have difficulty accepting our faults and limitations.
● So, if you want to be less caught up in regret, you have to start examining your fears. Some excuses like lack of time to pursue a goal or not meeting the right people may stem from something much more profound.
● Uncovering the root of your fears means learning to accept them, and once you do that, you'll be in a much more positive mental space.
Try going with the flow. We all get in a rut from time to time. We may think we know what we want, but we get stuck in the same routine repeatedly. The result is living in the past -- rehashing past mistakes and feeling miserable. But there's no point in living in the past.
● The past is in the past, and the future is a mystery. So, what do we have control over? We have control over our present moment. Going with the flow doesn't mean facing life without a plan. It means letting go of the need to control everything.
Work on achieving a flow mental state. Rather than worrying about the future or dwelling on the past, a flow state is where you are content with whatever life brings you. You let your experiences happen, but you don't attach any emotional meaning to them.
Make time for your friends and loved ones. Everyone has a limited amount of time to give to loved ones. Use that time wisely. Say no to unnecessary activities and projects. Stay away from those who drain your energy and give your time to those who need it.
● We live in a world where social media and technology rule our lives. These have a negative psychological effect on us. Try not to be a slave to technology and let yourself take a break from social media.
● Don't allow the negative voices in your head to overshadow the positive ones. Be grateful for what you have in your life and let go of anything that is not serving you positively.
6. Let go of resistance. Life is going to happen, one way or another. We can choose to resist what is showing up, what is happening in our life, or we can let go of the resistance and subsequent attachment to something else happening, and by so doing stop the struggle. The only reason we struggle, is because we are resisting what is happening. Imagine of you could be at peace with what life throws at you? Wouldn’t that be liberating? Freeing? Because the truth is we often can’t change what is going on “out there” but we CAN let go of the resistance and feel at peace with life. Amazing things can happen when we do this, very often the thing “out there” that was causing the resistance, resolves itself and circumstances change.
Through hypnosis and Mind Detox coaching, you truly can experience a happier life. Healing the past hurts, future fears, making peace with your regrets, embracing the present and creating a flow in your life are some of the ways to achieve this. Get in touch for a free 30-minute discovery session.
It’s time to change.